This Tropical Mango Banana Bread is a delicious, but simple, twist on ordinary banana bread.
Normally I freeze ripe bananas in the freezer to make Daniel Tiger's Banana Swirl (aka Banana N'Ice Cream).
But, sometimes you just need a little baked happiness. I got this recipe years ago from my sister-in-law, Melanie and it became an instant family favorite.
What makes this banana bread special?
The dried mangoes not only add color, but incredible sweetness.
And there is one more secret ingredient: a bit of grated lemon zest! I would never have thought to add it, but it adds a subtle citrus note that perfectly complements the other ingredients.
Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Freshman Cook
- Chai Spiced Banana Bread by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Kalamata Olive and Oregano Mini Loaves by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Louisiana Bacon Pecan Bread by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Spiced Apple Quick Bread by Art of Natural Living
- Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Quick Bread by Simply Inspired Meals
- Tropical Mango Banana Bread by That Recipe
- Zucchini Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Mango Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ¾ teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 to 1 ½ cup mashed bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1 or 2 large eggs (if you have 1 cup of bananas use 2 eggs, 1 ½ cup bananas use 1 egg)
- ⅓ cup dried mangoes (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease one 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch bread pan.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk.
- In a larger bowl, beat shortening, sugar and lemon zest together until creamy. Beat in eggs and bananas.
- Add the flour in 2 equal parts beating until smooth. Add mangoes.
- Pour into prepared bread pan and bake in preheated oven until brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, approximately 60 minutes.
Until next time, happy eating.