Are you looking for a unique and delicious addition to your holiday baking? With its nutty crunch and sweet-tart flavor from the cherries, this cheery Cherry Brazil Nut Bread will be a hit with your family and friends.
Bake it for yourself, or make a few for easy home-baked holiday gifts for friends, neighbors, teachers, or anyone else on your list.
This recipe came from my mother-in-law, who makes it into mini loaves for gifting to her neighbors and friends at Christmas time.
There is nothing specifically about this recipe that makes it "Christmasy", but we only seem to make it in December. Maybe it is the bright red cherries or it's the 3 cups of nuts.
So, if you feel like making this in July instead of December, be my guest.
Ingredients for Cherry Brazil Nut Bread
There are no special or hard to find ingredients in this recipe. Everything should be easy to find in the baking aisle.
- all-purpose flour
- Brazil nuts
- pitted dates
- maraschino cherries, red or green or both
- eggs, or egg substitute for vegan
- baking powder, salt, vanilla extract
I used wheat flour and white sugar. You can try substituting a gluten free flour and/or a sugar substitute suitable for baking.
As for the nuts, if you don't have Brazil nuts, don't like them, or you don't have 3 cups of them, you can substitute almonds, pecans or walnuts.
More Christmas Sweets
Celebrate the holiday season with these delicious treats:
- Peppermint Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Liége Waffles from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Brazil nuts
- 1 pound pitted dates
- 1 cup maraschino cherries (drained)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300℉. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan., or 2 or 3 mini loaf pans.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix in the nuts, dates, and cherries.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, add the vanilla. Gently fold eggs into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 300℉ until pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 45 minutes for a regular loaf, or about 1 hour and 20 minutes for mini loaves.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Quick Bread Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!