Are you looking to find a delicious sweet snack that’s the perfect combination of tart and sweet flavors? Look no further than Cranberry Whole Orange Bread! This quick and easy recipe is full of vibrant flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
Yes, I said whole orange. You literally toss the oranges, peel and all, into the food processor. The result is a rush of orange flavor which pairs beautifully with tart cranberries.
Ingredient Notes for Cranberry Whole Bread
Before we jump into the recipe, I want to tell you a few things about the ingredients:
Cranberries: Be sure to grab an extra bag or two of fresh cranberries when they are in season and toss them in the freezer to make this any time of year. Otherwise, you can use fresh or frozen blueberries instead. Or toss in some dried cranberries instead.
Oranges: As much as I love navel oranges, you don't want to use them for this recipe. They have too much pith (the white stuff in the peel) that can make this bitter. Also, since you are going to use the entire orange, peel and all, I highly recommend using organic fruit or at the least scrub the peel very well before using.
Sugar: If your oranges are sweet variety (like Cara Cara) stick with ⅓ cup sugar. However, if you use a less sweet variety or your oranges are not completely ripe you may want to use up to ½ cup sugar.
- 2 small thin skinned organic oranges
- ⅓ - ½ cup sugar (depending on sweetness of oranges)
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ milk
- 1 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons double acting baking powder
- ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries or blueberries (roughly chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350℉ Grease a loaf pan.
- Remove the stems from the oranges and cut into quarters. Remove seeds. Puree in food processor or blender until smooth. You should have about ⅔ cup of orange puree. Taste with a teaspoon, if it is not naturally sweet add more sugar in next step.
- Add sugar, egg, milk and melted butter and pulse a few times until combined.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add liquid and fold until moistened. If batter is too dry add additional milk a tablespoon more at a time.
- Fold in chopped cranberries.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350℉ for about 50-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.