We are celebrating two holidays in one today with this incredibly easy recipe for Homemade Bagels. National Bagel Day is February 9th, and in honor of Valentine’s Day I decided to sneak in a little color and made these naturally dyed Pink Bagels.
I tossed a little pureed beets into the dough to give them a lovely pink hue. You can use spinach or kale or other “green” for a green tint. You aren’t going to get a load of extra nutrition from the veggies in here since there is only a quarter cup for 16 bagels. But it sure
beets beats a mouthful of red food dye. And for those wondering, no, you don’t taste the vegetables after the bagels are cooked either. I promise! My picky eaters would have let me know if they detected it.
The pureed beets aren’t the only special ingredient in these. Normally bagels are made with diastatic malt powder, which would be a tough find in most grocery stores, but I could have ordered online. Instead I opted for good old fashioned instant malted milk powder in both the dough and the water bath. Worked like a charm to give it the right flavor and texture.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.