Nothing says autumn like the familiar combination of juicy apples, crunchy walnuts, and fragrant spices!
The perfect way to indulge your sweet tooth while still getting a dose of wholesome ingredients, this apple walnut snack cake is sure to become a beloved favorite in your home.
With this simple recipe, you'll learn the secrets to achieving an unbelievably moist and flavorful cake in just 30 minutes.
Not only that, it's an excellent way to get your kids involved in the kitchen with minimal fuss and a maximum amount of deliciousness. So let's get baking!
The flavors of apples and cinnamon really shine in this Apple Walnut Snack Cake. It makes a delicious after school snack, breakfast or dessert (we enjoyed it for all three ).
This recipe is adapted from my mom's original dot matrix printed cookbook that became this blog. I reduced the fat and sugar a bit and grated the apples instead of slicing them since my picky eater does not like chunks of fruit in anything.
The result was even better than I imagined. It was beautifully moist but not greasy and was an apple flavored cake instead of a spice cake with chunks of apple in it.
Making Apple Walnut Snack Cake with Kids
Depending on the age of your children, this is one just about any age can help with. Even young ones can help stir and pour.
Chopping the walnuts and grating the apples might be best left to adults or older kids to avoid scraped fingers.
You may want to have them crack the eggs into a separate bowl and remove any shells before adding to the mix. Heck, I still do it myself at times.
What type of apples to use for baking?
According to Food Network, the 13 best apples for baking are:
- Golden Delicious
- Granny Smith
- Honey Crisp
- Ida Reds
- Northern Spy
- Pink Lady
I used four gala apples from our local CSA. Since the apples are grated, maintaining the firmness of the apple is not as big of an issue as making an apple pie or Irish Apple Cake. So, use the apple you like or have in the house.
More Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
It's apple season! Here are some delicious apple treats for your to enjoy with family and friends.
Delicious Apple Recipes
- Apple Almond Vada from Magical Ingredients
- Apple Biscuits from Jen Around the World
- Apple Butter from Palatable Pastime
- Apple Cider Mimosa from Hezzi-D's Recipe Box
- Apple Crumble Muffins from Art of Natural Living
- Easy Skillet Apple Crisp from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Maple Apple Pie with Walnut Crumble Topping from The Spiffy Cookie
- 4 cups apples (grated)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ⅓ cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped )
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a 9 inch square pan.
- Put apples in a large bowl. Sift dry ingredients over apples.
- Add oil, eggs, vanilla and nuts.
- Stir until all ingredients are just evenly moist. Pour into baking pan.
- Bake until firm and lightly browned, approximately 30 minutes.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
more apple recipes
Until next time, happy eating!