These low fat Apple Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing are a fun Fall treat the kids can help bake.
The recipe is from Sesame Street: B is for Baking - 50 Yummy Dishes to Make Together with a few alterations for our tastes. Even though the book is written for preschoolers, it is still one of our favorite cookbooks. Now, my son can make the entire recipe by himself without much supervision.
One quick word about the Icing. This is not a thick fluffy buttercream frosting. It is a rich maple brown sugar icing that is a bit runny, but firms up nicely. It is a nice compliment to the cupcakes and doesn't overwhelm them like a frosting would.
The icing is so good by itself it would make a great fruit dip!
All Things Apples
This week the From Our Dinner Table group is celebrating apples. We've got recipes for everything from breakfast to dessert.
- Apple Cupcakes w/ Maple Cream Cheese Icing by That Recipe
- Apple Fritter Bread by Making Miracles
- Cranberry Apple Cole Slaw by Art of Natural Living
- Crock Pot Apple Butter by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Fried Apples by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Applesauce by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Romanian Apple Rice Pudding by Pandemonium Noshery
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Apple Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cups apple sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup apple (peeled, cored and finely chopped)
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- ¼ cup real maple syrup (approximate measure)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until blended
- Add egg, applesauce and oil. Mix with an electric mixer on medium low for 2 to 3 minutes, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Stir in chopped apple.
- Fill the cupcake liners ½ - ¾ full. Bake 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, in a small bowl mash together the cream cheese and brown sugar. Add the maple syrup a tablespoon or so at a time to thin the icing. This is not buttercream frosting it will not be thick and fluffy. It is meant to be a slightly runny glaze.
- If it seems like it is getting too runny, don't add the full amount of syrup. Put in fridge until cupcakes are baked and cool. It will thicken upon standing.
- Remove icing from fridge and stir. Add more maple syrup to thin if necessary. Using a teaspoon, scoop out a small amount of cake from the top of the cupcake, then fill the hole and the top of the cupcake with a tablespoon or so of icing. Add the removed scoop of cake on top for decoration.
- Alternate: do not scoop out a bit of cake and add an apple slice on top. This should be done immediately before serving to prevent the apple from become brown and unappealing.
Other Apple Recipes to Enjoy
Until next time, happy eating.
Yum! I love apple season. Pinning this so I can make it next week.
Joy @ Joy Love Food
Yummy, I've been looking for a good apple recipe to make with my 6 year old son and these are perfect!
These sound so good! Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday. Hope to see you again next week!
Amanda @ The Kolb Corner
Those sound and look delicious! Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!
Yummy...these sounds so delicious. Thanks so much for sharing these at The Southern Special.
Marlys (This and That)
Audrey, These sound so awesome, thank you for sharing them on Foodie Friends Friday. I want to let you know that I picked these as my host favorite.. they will be featured over at the daily dish magazine and on my party post for this week. Hope you will join us this for this week's party.
KC the Kitchen Chopper
What a cutie pie! Thanks for sharing the story and the recipe at #theWeekendSocial. Please come see us again Thursday 9:00 PM EST. Pinned! http://www.theKitchenChopper.com
Lou Lou Girls
This looks fabulous! Pinned. We couldn’t think of anyone better to party with! Thank you for stopping by. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls
Dawn ~ Spatulas On Parade
Great recipe and the most viewed from last weeks party. I will be featuring it tomorrow.
Love the sound of the maple cream cheese icing. Easy and delicious!
[email protected] Mums Take Five
i so wish we had Apple Day! i wish we had all those days actually lol I clicked over and read the other post Apple Day looks like a great day to have!
How good are you doing the games and things at home! 🙂
Thanks for sharing with us for Sunday Brunch, always lovely to see you x
Kristina and Millie
how fun (and maybe a bit scary) to cook with the kids in the kitchen 🙂 recipe sounds and looks delish. I can't wait to try these apple cupcakes and maple cream cheese icing! Thanks for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday!
Sounds delicious and like a fun recipe to make next time the Angel Face visits.
I am all about apple cupcakes and that maple frosting sounds perfect for fall! I could probably eat 3 or 4 of these!
I love apples in baked good AND I love soft maple frostings so i'm drooling over here.
Inger @ Art of Natural Liivng
Love apple cupcakes/muffins. And maple icing would be perfect!
They look so moist and delicious!! I could devour a couple of these.