These Cashew Mocha Cookie Bars combine chocolate with a hint of coffee flavor and rich buttery cashews on top for a delicious cookie bar that will disappear quickly.
It is the 20th of the month so it is time for the Crazy Ingredient Challenge! A blogger version of Chopped, without anyone actually getting eliminated. We pick two ingredients every month and go our separate ways to create a dish with them - anything goes. This month we have cashews and coffee. Be sure to scroll below the recipe to see what the others came up with this month.
The basis for the bars is a recipe from Mrs. Field's Cookie Book, one of my favorite basic cookie books!
I made some tweaks to her recipe, but one thing I didn't touch was the addition of coffee liqueur. I used my 3 year old homemade Kahlua. It is about time for me to make up some more to be ready for Christmas time. The recipe calls for 2 teaspoons and once you cut them into 24- 30 bars any alcohol remaining after baking is negligible. But, if you strictly avoid alcohol, just use strong coffee and maybe a pinch more sugar.
Cashew Mocha Bars
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons coffee liqueur (aka Kahlua (or very strong black coffee))
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips (milk, dark, or semi sweet chocolate)
- Place cashews in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Check on cashews every few minutes and remove when light brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt with a whisk until combined and fluffy.
- In a small bowl combine the instant coffee with the coffee (liqueur) until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides, add eggs and coffee mixture. Beat on medium until combined.
- Add flour and mix on low until combined.
- Spread dough into bar pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes until done in the middle.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips across the top. Let sit until melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the melted chocolate chips until smooth. Sprinkle on cashew pieces, pressing down into the chocolate gently. Let cool completely.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Until next time, happy eating.