Yes, you can have cookies for breakfast if they are these healthy Dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies.
These cookies have one main surprise ingredient: black beans. Don’t let that scare you from trying them. It adds fiber and protein to the cookies while enhancing the chocolate flavor. My guys never knew they were in these cookies or the Black Bean Coconut Brownies.
These are good when you initially make them, but honestly they are better the next day when the flavors have developed a bit and the cookies are chewier.
I like to make a double batch to have on hand for quick on the go breakfasts or an after workout snack.
It’s the best time of year: #Choctoberfest! I think we can all agree on one thing this year… 2020 needs more chocolate.
Choctoberfest is our annual celebration of chocolate recipes, now in its 6th year. I’ve teamed up with some talented food bloggers to share dozens of milk, dark, and white chocolate dishes for this year’s virtual event. Be sure to keep scrolling to the end of the post to see all of the deliciousness shared today.
Plus, we’ve pooled our resources to bring you an exciting giveaway you don’t want to miss!
One lucky winner will receive a KitchenAid mixer – or if you already have a mixer you can instead opt to receive a KitchenAid gift card to purchase your choice of attachments or other kitchen tools. To enter, simply follow the directions here:a Rafflecopter giveaway The fine print: Open worldwide to entrants who are 18+ (except where prohibited). Winner will receive a KitchenAid Classic Series 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer or the equivalent in a gift card. Giveaway ends on October 16 at 11:59 PM Eastern. This giveaway is not sponsored by KitchenAid, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, or any other third party sites. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary. See terms & conditions for more information.
- Allison, Jess, and Sharon from Triple Chocolate Kitchen (#Choctoberfest organizers!)
- Karen from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Coleen from The Redhead Baker
- Marcelle from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious
- Stephanie from Long Distance Baking
- Lisa from Blogghetti
- Linda from 2 Cookin Mamas
- Erin from The Spiffy Cookie
- Audrey from That Recipe
- Maria from Living Ideas
- Kate from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Terri from Our Good Life
- Sarah from Sarah Cooks the Books
- Sue from Palatable Pastime
- April from Veggies First Then Dessert
- Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kelley from Simply Inspired Meals
- Iris from A Fork on the Road
- Teri from The Freshman Cook
- Ashley from My Southern Sweet Tooth
- Heather from Join Us, Pull up a Chair
- Angela from Bake It With Love
- Dedra from Queenslee Appétit
Enjoy cookies for breakfast! These dark chocolate cranberry breakfast cookies are healthy enough to start your day or enjoy post workout or for a midmeal snack.
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup sugar (optional: use ½ sugar and ½ stevia)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup no sugar added applesauce
- ½ cup canned black beans rinsed
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark or semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl whisk together cocoa, flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
In a blender, puree applesauce, black beans, egg whites and vanilla until smooth,
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients with chocolate chips and cranberries.
Scoop cookie dough by tablespoonful onto a baking sheet leaving an inch or more between cookies. Press each down until ½" thick.
Bake 8-10 minutes. Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.