Yes, you can have cookies for breakfast... if they are these healthy dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies.
Dark chocolate, tangy cranberries and chocolate chips in a chewy low sugar low fat cookie help fill you up and power you through your day.
These Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies are so easy to make. Just puree the ingredients in the blender, stir in the dry ingredients and bake. And 10 minutes later you have a batch of delicious nutritious cookies.
They are good when you initially make them, but honestly they are better the next day when the flavors have developed a bit and the cookies are chewier.
I like to make a double batch to have on hand for quick on the go breakfasts or an after workout snack.
Ingredient for Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
These cookies have one main surprise ingredient: black beans.
Don't let that scare you from trying them. It adds fiber and protein to the cookies while enhancing the chocolate flavor.
My guys readily devour these and the Black Bean Coconut Brownies without knowing my secret.
The other ingredients include:
- whole wheat flour (or all purpose if you prefer)
- old fashioned oatmeal (or quick cooking oats)
- sugar (or half sugar and half powdered stevia)
- apple sauce (or coconut oil)
- eggs (or egg substitute)
- chocolate chips (dark, milk or white)
- dried cranberries (or cherries)
- baking powder, baking soda and vanilla extract
Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup sugar (optional: use ½ sugar and ½ stevia)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup no sugar added applesauce
- ½ cup canned black beans (rinsed)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark or semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together cocoa, flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a blender, puree applesauce, black beans, egg whites and vanilla until smooth,
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients with chocolate chips and cranberries.
- Scoop cookie dough by tablespoonful onto a baking sheet leaving an inch or more between cookies. Press each down until ½" thick.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.