This rich Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel is wonderful for a special breakfast or brunch, or along with a cup of coffee for an afternoon treat.
This coffee cake recipe is a mishmash of a few I have tried over the years, including one from the cookbook that came with my parent's first microwave over 40 years ago and another from Cook's Illustrated Cookbook.
The cream cheese adds a nice tang and plenty of moisture to the cake, and the pecan streusel and glaze on top make it amazing without being cloyingly sweet.
Make it ahead: like most coffee cakes, it is even better the next day.
Bake it the night before, let it cool, then wrap it in plastic wrap or foil. When you are ready to serve just drizzle on the glaze.
This makes it great for things like Christmas Breakfast, Easter Brunch, or a Mother's Day Tea.
Beyond the Pie: Pecan Recipes
This week the #OurFamilyTable bloggers are sharing our favorite pecan recipes for #NationalPecanMonth in November.
- Cranberry Pecan Bundt Cake by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel by That Recipe
- Maple Bourbon Pecan Chicken Thighs by Making Miracles
- Pecan Crusted Pork Chops with Apples by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Chops with Peaches & Pecans by Art of Natural Living
- Roasted Pear, Parmesan, and Spiced Pecan Salad by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Southern Pecan Corn Muffins by Palatable Pastime
More Coffee Cake Recipes
Pecan Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (packed)
- ⅓ cup pecans (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ cup pecans (finely ground in food processor)
- ¼ cup butter (room temperature)
- 6 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 Large eggs
- ¾ cups milk (whole, low fat or non dairy)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (whole, low fat or non dairy)
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pan or a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, pecans and cinnamon with a whisk. Use a fork or your fingers to cut the softened butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Lightly pack into the bowl and put in the freezer while preparing the cake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ground pecans and spices. Set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set at medium speed, beat together the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternate adding a ¼ cup of milk with half the flour (finish with the final ¼ cup of milk) until batter is combined. It will be thick! Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Crumble the streusel mixture on top of the cake, leaving some bigger pieces.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely. Combine the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl (add extra milk if needed to achieve desired consistency) then drizzle over the cake.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
Until next time, happy eating!