Chinese Egg Tarts are a traditional dessert served for Chinese New Year to bring abundance in the coming year.
This version is so easy you don’t need to wait for the Lunar Year to enjoy them.
Leave the edges of the pastry plain, or cut with a fluted cutter or use a sandwich cutter sealer or fork to decorate it a bit.
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter (cubed)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Place 1 cup flour, butter, and confectioner’s sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, blend butter, flour and sugar into a coarse crumbly mixture.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and ice cold water into the mixture, mix until it forms a dough. If the dough is too wet and sticks, add more flour a tablespoon at a time. If it is too try, add ice cold water a tablespoon at a time. The dough should not be too dry nor sticky.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/8 of an inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds. You can use a fluted cutter or gently press a fork into the edge for decoration. Place in the cupcake wrappers.
- Place the pastry rounds into a muffin or tart pan, gently pressing it in.
- In a sauce pan, heat water and sugar over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Strain into the sauce pan with cooled syrup. Mix.
- Strain the egg mixture into each tart shell, taking care not to over fill them.
- Bake the tarts in the oven at 375 degrees F for about 15 – 20 minutes. until the filling rises and the crust is lightly brown.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.