Delicious Ham and Leek Pie is a delightful and easy dish for for brunch or dinner. Similar to a quiche this egg based pie is loaded with ham, leeks and any other meats or vegetables you care to add.
Leeks are those green onions on growth hormones in the produce aisle. No, they aren't really. But they are cousins. You only want the white and lighter green parts for this recipe. Save the dark green parts for stock or other recipe. I like to soak mine in water to get all of the dirt out of the crevices before cutting them.
Options for Ham and Leek Pie
You can go vegetarian and leave the ham out, or swap some other kind of meat like bacon or sausage or even add some cheese if desired.
Ham and Leek Pie
- 2 leeks or bermuda onions (about 4 cups chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg (seperated)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup ham (cut in small chunks)
- 1 unbaked single 9" pie crust (regular, gluten free, etc. for savory pie.)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put pie crust in a pie pan (decorate edges if desired), prick with a fork and put in fridge while preparing other ingredients.
- Slice leeks in half and thinly slice white part and some of the greens. You want about 4 cups chopped.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook leeks until whites become translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- In a small saucepan combine 1 egg yolk, 3 eggs and yogurt with a whisk. Heat until warm, do not boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add yogurt mixture and ham to the leeks and stir until combined.
- Brush the pie crust with slightly beaten egg white. Add the filling and smooth.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Immediately lower the temperature to 300 and bake until the pie crust is golden brown and the center is set. 10-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or let chill and serve cold.