You can cook this in a few hours on the stove if you have excellent ventilation, the combination of vinegar and peppers is very strong.
If you have an abundance of hot peppers from your garden, you can make a huge batch of homemade Pepper Sauce in your slow cooker for gift giving.
This recipe comes from my brother, who used to make a similar recipe for Mother Cluckers in New Orleans. He grew several different kinds of peppers this year and has made several batches to give away to family and friends. He jarred the first batch in mason jars which definitely works, but is a little difficult to pour just a few drops from.
But, he got smart for the second and bought these self sealing bottles with shrink wrap caps (affiliate link, I may receive a small commission for any purchases you make at no cost to you).
You can reduce the amount and make a smaller batch on the stove, but you'd better have a strong ventilation system. The combination of peppers and vinegar is quite strong (translation "tear inducing"). That's the benefit of the slow cooker, you can put it outside as long as it is in a protected place or in the garage.
[clickToTweet tweet="Homemade Pepper Sauce makes a wonderful holiday gift. #recipe #hotsauce" quote="Homemade Pepper Sauce makes a wonderful holiday gift. #recipe #hotsauce" theme="style2"]
Homemade Pepper Sauce
- 4-5 lb hot peppers (any mix of: jalapeno, habenero, cayenne, serrano, etc.)
- 6 cups vinegar
- 1 cup prepared horseradish sauce
- ½ cup margarine (not butter!)
- ½ cup crushed red peppers
- ¼ cup cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup salt
- ⅓ - ½ cup blackstrap molasses
- Cut larger peppers in half, if desired, while wearing rubber gloves.
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on LOW for up to a week until skins separate from the pulp. Check at least once or twice a day.
- Push through a sieve to remove skins. Bring to a boil in a large pot on the stove and can in mason jars with two part caps (process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner) or using pepper sauce bottles.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.