Fluffy and flavorful Buttermilk Bread made easy with a bread machine.
I love fresh homemade bread. The smell, the taste… But in the summertime I don’t always like the heat generated by the oven. And sometimes I don’t want to go to the hassle of kneading and watching the rising cycles. It’s times like these I bust out my trusty old bread machine.
The recipe comes from the book Baking with Julia: Savor the Joys of Baking with America’s Best Bakers (affiliate link) based on the PBS series. It is the same one that had the fabulous Popovers recipe I posted last week.
The only odd ingredient for some people may be the powdered buttermilk. I use this brand (affiliate link) which I find easily next to the powdered milk in my grocery store. It is actually easier for me to find than fresh buttermilk sometimes – heavens knows why. I use it in biscuits and pancakes as well.
The major drawback to my bread machine is the odd shaped loaf. But, the recipe includes instructions for prepping it in the bread machine and then baking in the oven as rolls or a regularly shaped loaf.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Easy and delicious Buttermilk Bread made in a bread maker. #juliachild #bread #homemadebread” quote=”Easy and delicious Buttermilk Bread made in a bread maker. #juliachild #bread #homemade” theme=”style2″]
Julia Child's Buttermilk Bread recipe for the Bread Machine is a light a fluffy buttermilk bread made in a bread machine.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast bread machine yeast if you have it
- 3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup room temperature water
- Put the ingredients into the bread machine in the order given, or in the order recommended by the manufacturer if different. Set machine for "White Bread" and press start.
- To make rolls or shape loaf by hand: put the ingredients in order as above and set the machine for "dough" cycle.
- After completion of the dough cycle allow dough to rise until doubled in bulk (about 45 minutes).
- Remove from the bread machine pan and shape into rolls or put in greased 9 x 5 bread pan. Let rise until doubled again, 40-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425. Place the loaf in the oven and immediately reduce to 375. Bake 35-45 minutes until brown.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.