Oh, do I have a treat for you! This Moroccan Lentil and Tomato Soup is flavorful, vegetarian, gluten free and "guaranteed" to bring you good fortune in the new year if you eat a big bowl on New Year's Day.
Well, the last part is folklore, but these lentils were fabulous! The spice combination in this is amazing. It isn't spicy hot, just incredibly flavorful.
I had planned to make my mom and in-laws jars of Lentil Soup Mix for Christmas so they would have an easy homemade meal for when they didn't fee like cooking. But, I forgot to buy the barley. So, I had to decide: go back to the store or come up with another recipe with what I had on hand. I made the right choice.
The instructions below are to make it with fresh ingredients, but I also added the details for how I made them into a mix in a jar. I had to get a little creative because I didn't want to force them to buy a jar of tomatoes or broth. Luckily, I had some sun dried tomatoes on hand and just pulverized those to a fine powder in my coffee grinder. You can buy dried tomato powder online, which is handy to have in the cupboard (affiliate link!).
Turmeric can be a bit expensive, but it absolutely makes this dish! Plus, it is reputed to be quite good for you.
Moroccan Lentil and Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- ½ cup celery (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounce size)
- 1 quart broth (chicken or vegetable)
- water or additional broth (as desired for thickness of soup)
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions, celery and garlic until onions begin to turn translucent. Add spices and heat for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft, about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Add more water or broth if you want it soupier.
2 tablespoons dehydrated onions
1 tablespoon dehydrated celery Combine the following in a small bag and attach to jar: 2 bullion cubes and 3 tablespoons dehydrated tomato powder (or 1 package dry tomato soup mix)
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon pepper Add instructions: Combine contents of jar with 4-6 cups of water, bring to a boil and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 -25 minutes. Add additional water if desired.
Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays Linky Party
Danielle from Creatively Homespun, Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas, , Audrey from That Recipe, and Ashley from Forgetful Momma are our co-hosts for December!
Please make sure that you follow them in at least one way! They will be commenting on and pinning many of your posts.
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)**
**Danielle from Creatively Homespun (Blog)**
**Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted. Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party! Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.