This Soup-er easy and delicious Lentil Soup Mix is great t keep on hand for an easy dinner or to give as a gift that will be much appreciated.
I made this Lentil Soup Mix as a gift for my son’s teacher for a few reasons:
- Other than water/stock no other ingredients need to be added.
- It cooks in under hour.
- Lentils are a good luck food if eaten on New Year’s Day in Italy.
- I had lentils in the cupboard that I knew the guys wouldn’t eat.
Another great thing about this soup mix is that is Vegetarian, Vegan, corn-free, sugar-free, low fat, low sodium, dairy-free and gluten-free (use gluten free pasta or brown rice) just in case you are dealing with any special diets in your gift giving.
For gift giving I just printed these instructions, cut them out and glued them to some construction paper. Or you can tape them directly on the jar.
Easy Lentil Soup Mix in a Jar is perfect for gift giving, especially around the New Year since lentils eaten on New Year's Day bring good luck.
- 1 pint jar with lid clean and dry
- 1/2 cup green split peas
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup alphabet shaped pasta or star shaped or brown rice for gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon dehydrated celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Layer ingredients in the jar in order given.
- For gift giving include the following instructions: "Combine soup mix with 2 quarts of chicken, beef or vegetable broth and one cup cooked and chopped beef, chicken or ham (optional). Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until peas are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste."
The instructions below are for 1 pint jar which will make about 8 cups of soup. Each one-pound bag of lentils (and barley and peas) will yield approximately 2 cups so you can make 4 pint jars. Click here for a printable label.
Until next time, happy eating.