White Posole is a simple Mexican hominy stew made for special occasions such as New Year’s, weddings and birthdays.
Unlike Abuela’s version, (not my Abuela actually, but someone else’s Mexican grandmother that might cook this in the traditional hours long method) this recipe cooks up in under an hour and has far less fat. But make no mistake it is full of flavor.
You can substitute chicken or beans for the pork, if you prefer. I like to serve with a variety of toppings on the side and let each person add their favorites.
Easy Mexican Hominy Stew traditionally served on New Year's for good luck and other special celebrations.
- 1 pound boneless pork such as shoulder (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1-2 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne ground red pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 14 ounce hominy
- 4 ounces canned diced green chilies
- 1-2 jalapenos diced
- Heat a heavy stew pot or large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven. Add pork cubes and brown, stirring constantly.
- Add onion, garlic and spices. Cook until they are translucent, again stirring constantly.
- Add the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on medium for about 10 minutes.
- Add the hominy, including the liquid, chilies and jalapeno (if using). Stir together. Bring back to boiling, reduce heat and simmer on low for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional liquid if necessary. The meat should begin break apart and the sauce should be fairly thick.
Serve with any of the following:
- fresh chopped oregano, onion and cilantro
- fresh salsa
- lime wedges
- corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce or cabbage
- thinly sliced radishes
- avocado wedges
- chopped fresh tomato
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.
Until next time, happy eating!