Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken with Black Beans can be used to make burritos, burrito bowls, lettuce wraps or served on it own.
This simple slow cooker chicken recipe is bursting with flavorful spices and herbs. It makes a great filling for burritos or you can serve it with some Cilantro Lime Rice for an easy burrito bowl. Or serve it by itself with a classic Caesar Salad.
I love that I can just toss everything in to the crock pot and let it do it’s magic while I go about your day.
The splash of lime at the end may sound odd, but the hint of citrus does amazing things to brighten the flavors of this recipe.
This hearty Mexican Chicken with Black Beans recipe is an easy flavorful dish that can be used to make burritos or bowls or lettuce wraps.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts if preferred)
- 2 cans 10 ounce fire-roasted diced tomatoes & green chilies undrained
- 2 cans 15 ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1½ tablespoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 limes quartered
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
Add chicken thighs to the bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock. Top with tomatoes, black beans, garlic, jalapeno pepper, liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Stir to combine, making sure the chicken thighs are coated and submerged in the liquid. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
30 minutes before serving, remove lid and shred chicken with two forks while in the slow cooker . Stir to combine shredded chicken with other ingredients. Cover and cook for remaining 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and squeeze fresh lime juice into the crock. Add cilantro and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.