Easy gluten free low carb healthy Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a delicious meal ready in under 30 minutes.
Whether you are following a low carb eating plan, or need a gluten free meal, or just want a tasty chicken dish, this recipe has what you are looking for.
In this version I served it as lettuce wraps but you can easily serve it with rice or chow mein if you prefer.
Cashew Chicken Ingredients and Options
The sauce is a combination of tamari, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
You can use another type of soy sauce instead of tamari and another nut or seed butter if peanut allergies are an issue.
I used chicken breast, but of course you can use chicken thighs instead.
Bibb lettuce is great for lettuce wraps because it is sturdy enough to hold in the ingredients. Other choices are Boston or even good old iceberg lettuce.
Obviously you want to use cashews for cashew chicken, but there's nothing stopping you from using peanuts or almonds if you choose.
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- ⅓ cup tamari gluten-free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free crunchy peanut butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1-2 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large green onions, sliced ( white and green parts separated)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 head Bibb lettuce (separated, rinsed, and patted dry)
- ½ cups chopped cashews (lightly salted)
- In a large bowl combine the tamari, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, garlic, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add the cubed chicken breast and gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add white part of green onions and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to develop some color, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken and sauce into the skillet and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce starts to thicken, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and divide the chicken mixture between the Bibb lettuce leaves. Top each wrap with the sliced green onions and chopped cashews and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Chinese Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!