Are you ready for an amazing holiday treat? Combine crunchy gingerbread cookies with rich brown sugar flavored filling for rich flavorful Gingerbread Penuche Sandwich Cookies.
Add a little something extra to traditional gingerbread cookies by going the extra mile and turning them into decadent sandwich cookies filled with penuche frosting. It is like gingerbread Oreos but BETTER!
For this recipe I combined two of my favorite recipes: the Gingerbread Men recipe I got in Kindergarten and penuche (brown sugar) frosting. The molasses in the brown sugar compliments the warm spices and molasses in the gingerbread beautifully.
Besides tasting amazing, both the cookies and the frosting are so easy to make.
Bake some of these up for family and friends this holiday season.
- Caramel Tassies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Thumbprints by Hostess At Heart
- Christmas Shortbread Cookie Bars by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Date Sugar Walnut Cookies by Magical Ingredients
- Earl Grey Snickerdoodles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Easy Cake Mix Biscotti by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Gingerbread Penuche Sandwich Cookies by That Recipe
- Ginger Molasses Cookies with Caramelized Ginger by Family Around the Table
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Blossoms by Frugal & Fit
- Hot Chocolate Cookies by Blogghetti
- Iced Gingerbread Bars by Art of Natural Living
- Maple Doodles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mini M&M Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Oatmeal Shortbread Cookies by Shockingly Delicious
- Orange Ginger Refrigerator Cookies by An Affair from the Heart
- Peppermint Meringues by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Peppermint Mocha Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Reese's Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sugar Plum Pinwheel Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, and Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Texas Sheet Cake Cookies by Jen Around the World
Gingerbread Penuche Sandwich Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cups molasses
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar (more or less)
- Mix ingredients. Chill in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Roll dough to ⅛ inch thick and cut with circle cookie cutters, biscuit cutters or an inverted shot glass. Place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° F for approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet and let cool completely.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute. Pour into a medium mixing bowl and let cool about 15 minutes.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Beat in the powdered sugar until desired consistency. Thin with additional milk, a teaspoon at a time, if needed.
- Match cookies into pairs. Frost half of the cookies then place another cookie on top.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
Until next time, happy eating!
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
A sandwich cookie always looks great on a cookie tray or platter. And, this recipe would be an amazing one to try out this holiday season!