Honey Glazed Turnips and Carrots are weeknight fast, but would also pair wonderfully with ham, turkey or lamb for holidays.
I love growing my own turnips or getting them from the CSA because they keep the greens on. It's like getting two vegetables in one!
The greens usually become Smothered Greens or other sautéed greens.
But, most grocery store stores assume people don't want them and trim them off.
The inspiration for this recipe came from the Cook's Illustrated Cookbook, with a few tweaks for my equipment and tastes.
It takes less than 30 minutes to make so it is great for weeknights. Or double or triple it to serve along with your holiday meals
Ingredients for Turnips and Carrots
I listed a pound each of turnips and carrots below. There is no need to weight them and use exact proportions. Two medium turnips and 4 or 5 medium large carrots should be about right.
Chicken or vegetable broth add extra flavor, but you could use plain water if you don't have any on hand.
I used honey this time, but maple syrup or brown sugar could also be used. It's only a little sweetness and it won't glaze without it.
Fresh lemon and thyme really make this dish special. They accent the flavors of the root vegetables nicely and do not over power them at all.
Olive oil, or other cooking oil to saute the veggies, and a little salt and pepper to finish rounds out the ingredient list.
More Carrot Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
We are getting creative with carrots today! Here are some tasty ideas for these root vegetables.
Creative Creations with Carrots
- Bird’s Nest Carrot Cake Cupcakes from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cheesy Baked Carrot Casserole Recipe from Blogghetti
- Chinese Jamaican Beef and Carrots from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Copper Penny Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Glazed Turnips and Carrots from That Recipe
- Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots from Jen Around the World
- Irish Buttered Carrots (Slieve Na Mbam) from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Maple Glazed Carrots from Art of Natural Living
- Vegan Carrot Almond Rice Kheer from Magical Ingredients
- 1 pound turnips (about 2 medium)
- 1 pound carrots (4-5 medium)
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ⅔ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the turnips into ¾ inch cubes. Peel (or scrub) the carrots and cut into ½ inch slices. Zest the lemon using a zester or box grater and cut in half, remove seeds as needed.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add turnips and carrots in a single layer (as much as possible) and cook for 4 minutes without turning.
- Stir and continue cooking until brown on all sides, 4-5 more minutes.
- Add broth, thyme, and lemon zest. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium high. Add honey and cook about one minute until the liquid begins to glaze.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and stir it in. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Carrot Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!