These easy broiled open faced French Bread Hamburgers are a quick and delicious meal perfect for busy weeknights.
In my family, these are known as "Gram's" French Bread Hamburgers. My great-grandmother probably threw these together for her daughters 80 or 90 years ago, and they loved them and made them for their kids, who in turn made them for their kids and now we make them for our kids.
Of course when my parents made them it was with "ground meat" that was probably 20% or more fat. The patties would shrink as the fat melted and soaked into the bread so you always had to be sure you made them go over the edge of the bread slices just a bit so the bread didn't burn.
So good... and unhealthy.
Now, I use 7-10% fat meat and add plenty of seasonings to make up for the lower fat content. I like a smear of mayo on mine, while the boys prefer ketchup, barbecue sauce or teriyaki sauce.
Serve it with a salad or sliced lettuce, tomatoes and onion piled on top.
Open Faced French Bread Hamburgers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup bread crumbs or wheat germ
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ loaf French bread (sliced diagonally about ¾ inch thick )
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients except bread crumbs.
- Spread mixture in equal amounts on bread slices all the way to the edges. Place on a broiler pan.
- Broil 4-5 inches from the heating element for 3-5 minutes until meat is browned.
Other Hot Sandwiches
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy from Creative K Kids (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
**Lisa from Blogghetti (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
Thank you for hosting! This is what I featured the week of 8-3 to 8-7 on my blog. On Tuesday was Banana Cream Pie with Hazelnut Crust. Wednesday was Apple Crumb Pie. Thursday was Maple Pecan Pie. And winding up this week was my No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie with Oreo Crust. Enjoy!