Chard and Mushroom Toasted Cheese Sandwich will take your grilled cheese sandwich to healthier and more flavorful heights.
I love grilled cheese sandwiches, but sometimes you've just got to make a grown up version.
For this one, I used Rainbow chard from my favorite CSA. Swap it for Swiss chard, spinach or any other softer green. Or use a hardier green like kale or collard and cook both the leaves and stems a bit longer.
For the sauce, I used a wonderful applewood smoked horseradish sauce. You might prefer a nice spicy mustard, or a tame sauce like mayonnaise.
This takes a little longer than your basic grilled cheese, but I think you will like the combination of flavors and textures.
- 1 bunch chard
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ onion (sliced in strips)
- 4 ounces white or button mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 ciabatta sandwich rolls
- 4 slices cheese (1-2 ounces each) (such as provolone, swiss, or cheddar)
- creamy horseradish sauce (to taste)
- Cut the stems from the chard and chop finely. Chop the leaves in strips.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook 4-5 minutes until beginning to turn brown.
- Add the chopped chard stems and sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms begin to sweat and soften.
- Add the chard leaves and cook until the chard is soft.
- While the chard is cooking, place the ciabatta roll halves on a broiler pan face up. Put a slice of cheese on the bottom halves.
- Broil on high until the cheese is melted and bread is toasty, 4-5 minutes.
- Place bottom half of roll on a plate, top with ¼ of the chard mixture and add horseradish to taste. Top with other half of the bun and serve.
Sound tasty? Share it with other!