For most of us, Vanilla Pudding comes ready made in little plastic tubs or if we feel like "making" it we get the powder in a box and mix it with milk. What if I told you that Homemade Vanilla Pudding was almost as easy as the boxed stuff and tastes sooooooooooo much better?
The three hardest parts of making Vanilla Pudding from scratch are:
- separating the eggs
- scalding the milk
- waiting the 1 hour chill time
The good news is the recipe won't be ruined if you get a little white in the yolks, and it doesn't matter if you break those. All scalding milk means is bringing it almost to a boil.
I can't help with the hour+ chill time. Trying to do anything knowing that creamy goodness is in the fridge is tough.
Homemade Vanilla Pudding
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- 2 large egg yolks (use the white for another recipe)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, scald 1 ¾ cup milk (heat over medium heat until bubbles start to form, just before it boils, about 180° F (80° Celsius).
- While milk is heating, beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Add ¼ milk and vanilla, mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add to milk/egg mixture and beat with a fork or whisk to remove all lumps.
- When the milk is scalded, slowly add the milk/egg mixture stirring constantly.
- Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick. Turn heat to simmer and cook 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put into serving bowl(s) and cover with plastic. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Pudding Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!
I used to make pudding like that all the time, but I don't think I've even made it in a decade! Might have to whip some up for dessert...
I had always thought it was so difficult to make pudding that they came up with the boxed mix to make it simpler. 15 minutes for better tasting... yup, I can find that kind of time.
Thank you for hosting. Have a great week!
I've always wanted to know how to make pudding from scratch, since my kids love it so much. Thanks for the recipe!
It was fun. I'll have to make chocolate next.
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
Audrey, I love homemade vanilla pudding. As you say, it's so easy, with very little time saved using a mix. If I had enough milk on hand, I'd make a batch right this minute!
I'd never tried it before, but I won't go back now.
Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)
These look so yummy! I've never tried making them from scratch, I'll have to give it a go. 😀 #FridayFrivolity
I am experimenting with lots of different homemade puddings these days
Yum, we love pudding at our house. Homemade is even better. I hope that you will join us at Family Joy Blog Link Up Party this week.
I will try to get over there! I love a good party.