Beef Stroganoff is another Russian recipe in honor of the Winter Olympics in Soichi, Russia.
I am not sure how I missed this recipe when I made up my lists for Weeknight Dinners and Favorite Mushroom Recipes. It might have had something to do with the fact that the boys won’t eat sour cream or mushrooms.
But, it is absolutely delicious and it will probably take longer to cook the noodles or rice to serve with this than it will to prepare it. Dinner ready in less than 30 minutes equals happiness in my book.
We grew up on this dish. It was one of my Dad’s favorites and was what he usually asked for when he and Ma’am bet on the Super Bowl or World Series. I didn’t realize it was so easy to make. Just slice the steak, mushrooms and onions, cook ’em up with the broth and sherry, then stir in the sour cream. Really, it is that easy.
You can make this with ground beef or turkey. Ma’am always made it with ground beef growing up. My brother and I will both testify it is so much better with beef strips and it is all either of us will use. But if you only have ground beef, go for it.
- 3 tablespoons butter optional
- 1 pound well trimmed bite-sized strips tender beef
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cups dry cocktail sherry optional, can substitute additional broth instead
- 3/4 cups consumme or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Melt butter, if using, in very hot skillet. Brown meat in skillet with mushrooms and onion. If using ground beef or turkey beef sure to stir with a fork to break up meat. Add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Reduce burner heat to medium. Add sherry, or half of broth/consommé, and cook down until liquid is reduced to about ¼ cup. Add consommé/broth and heat to just boiling.
- Mix cornstarch with water (stir with a fork until there are no lumps) and pour all at once into mixture in skillet. Stir constantly until liquid has thickened.
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt just before serving. Serve over rice or egg noodles.
Until next time, happy eating.