Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup is a healthy vegan soup that is ready in 30 minutes perfect for those busy wintery weeknights.
Who doesn’t need a flavorful easy ready in 30 minute soup recipe? Anyone, anyone? I didn’t think so.
This one has the added bonus of being vegan, so you can enjoy it on Meatless Monday or Lenten Fridays. Or toss in some leftover chicken or beef if you prefer.
The sweet potato might seem odd at first, but it is a wonderful addition to this southwestern flavored dish.
More Winter Soup Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
Here are some more warm wintery soup recipes.
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup by That Recipe
- Chicken Soba Noodle Soup by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Curried Lentil Soups by Making Miracles
- Easy Split Pea and Kielbasa Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Ginger Chicken and Quinoa Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Tuscana Recipe by Blogghetti
- Unstuffed Banana Pepper Soup by Art of Natural Living
- Vegetarian Winter Minestrone Soup by Magical Ingredients
Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans 15-ounce size black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add red onion and bell peppers. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook, stirring occasionally, for a minute or two until the spices become fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and black beans. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired, and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the corn and heat for a few minutes. Top with cilantro and fresh lemon juice and serve.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More 30 Minute Soup Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!