This Butternut Squash casserole is loaded with flavors like sweet apples, smokey bacon and crunchy pecans. Easy side dish to make any Fall meal special.
This post is part of Flavors of Fall Week. Be sure to keep scrolling to see all of today's fabulous recipes and to enter the giveaway thanks to our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s.
This dish is a wonderful mix of savory, sweet, salty, and smokey flavors. It is easy enough for a weeknight, but would also be wonderful for Thanksgiving or other holiday meals.
Use your favorite apples in this. My husband and I are partial to tart green apples (Pippin!) but Jonagold, Honey Crisp and Braeburn would also be fabulous.
Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Bacon Pecan Topping
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided use)
- 3 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 2 medium firm apples (cubed)
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 1½ teaspoons fresh sage (chopped)
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon (chopped into ½-inch pieces)
- ½ cups pecans (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9 x 13” baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butternut squash, apples, red onion, remaining olive oil, sage, and thyme. Add salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the mixture onto the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Roast until the butternut squash is fork tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a small mixing bowl. Add one tablespoon of bacon grease, chopped pecans, maple syrup (honey), cinnamon, and ground cloves. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and toss to combine.
- Remove squash from oven and top with the bacon pecan mixture. Return to the oven until the topping is nicely browned, approximately 10 minutes.
Flavors of Fall Giveaway and Recipes
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If there is no response prize is forfeited and a new winner will be chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Monday Fall Recipes
- Apple Butternut Squash Casserole by That Recipe
- Apple Pie Tacos Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars by Lemon Blossoms
- Apple Tea-ramisu by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Crisp by Big Bears Wife
- Caramel Apple Empanadas by Take Two Tapas
- Caramel Apple Ice Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Caramel Apple Tea Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Swirl Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup by Eat Move Make
- Easy Sausage And Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner by Intelligent Domestications
- Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup by Frugal & Fit
- Fall Punch Mocktail by Kate's Recipe Box
- Fall Vegetable Breakfast Hash by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Green Appletini Martini by Art of Natural Living
- Grilled Apple and Pear Salad with Maple Walnut Vinaigrette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Meyer Lemon Scones by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Pear Almond Crumble Pie by Savory Moments
- Pear Brown Betty by Cookaholic Wife
- Plum Kuchen by Palatable Pastime
- Scalloped Potatoes with Sweet Potatoes, Fennel, and Leeks by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Smashed Roasted Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Toasted Pecan Filling by Books n' Cooks
- Sunchoke Ricotta Gnocchi with Walnut Thyme Butter Sauce by The Spiffy Cookie
Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are my own.
The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected.
The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.