Carolina Coleslaw is a tangy mayonnaise free salad that is perfect for your picnic or barbecue.
I love coleslaw made with mayonnaise, but leaving it out on a table at a summer barbecue for too long can be a health hazard. No one wants a case of food poisoning after a fun summer outing. The sweet and tangy vinaigrette of this salad is bursting with flavor making it a nice complement to a variety of main dishes.
A few tips to make the salad even better:
– Tame the strong flavor and odor of the red onion by soaking it in a mixture of 1 part water to 1 part vinegar for 10-15 minutes before mixing the salad.
– Tenderize tough kale leaves by rubbing them with some olive oil for a few minutes.
[clickToTweet tweet=”This Carolina Coleslaw combines cabbage and kale with a tangy vinaigrette perfect for your next barbecue. #dairyfreecoleslaw #coleslawrecipe” quote=”This Carolina Coleslaw combines cabbage and kale with a tangy vinaigrette perfect for your next barbecue.” theme=”style2″]
- 1 head green cabbage cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small or ½ medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots grated
- 4 large kale leaves stalk removed and cut into thin ribbons
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ c. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c. white sugar or sugar free sweetener of your choice
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 2 t. celery seeds
- Add the cabbage, red onion, white onion, carrots and kale leaves to a large glass bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the vinegar and sugar to a small saucepan set to medium-high heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar thoroughly dissolves. Remove from heat and whisk in the vegetable oil, mustard and celery seeds. While still warm, pour over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine thoroughly.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper before serving.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.