Dan Dan noodles are quintessential Sichuan street food: Chinese egg noodles with a spicy sesame sauce.
This recipe is adapted from my autographed copy of Martin Yan’s Feast: The Best of Yan Can Cook. I have a few other recipes from the book on the blog, but it is a wonderful collection to any cookbook collection especially if you enjoy Chinese food.
Don’t be intimidated by the long ingredient list, several ingredients are listed twice and most should already be in your pantry. Oyster flavored sauce can be found in the Asian food section of most larger grocery stores. I also use it for this Asian marinade , keeping it carefully hidden from my boys who would freak out. It doesn’t make the sauce fishy, but the sauce would definitely be flat without it.
I had to buy a big jar of tahini for this recipe and wasn’t sure what else to do with it. Turns out it can be used for everything from breakfast to dessert with lots of tasty salad dressings, appetizers and main courses in between.
Pasta Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
More pasta recipes for your family to enjoy:
- Cheese Tortellini Carbonara by Art of Natural Living
- Chicken and Bacon Ragu by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Club Pasta by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dandan Noodles by That Recipe
- Instant Pot Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta by Daily Dish Recipes
- One-Pot Chicken Feta Alfredo by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pasta Skillet by Family Around the Table
- Taco Stuffed Shells by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Chinese egg noodles served with a spicy creamy sesame sauce with minced chicken is an easy weeknight fast meal.
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 pound chicken breasts minced
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces Chinese egg noodles prepared per package directions
- 1 or 2 green onions chopped
Prepare noodles per package directions.
In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, soy sauce and cornstarch. Add chicken and let marinade for 10 minutes.
Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
In a wok or large skillet, heat olive oil over high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes. Add sauce and heat for another minute or two until thickened.
Serve chicken over noodles topped with green onions.