Almond Chicken Chow Mein is an easy dish to make at home any night of the week. It also makes a fabulous dish for special occasions.
This simple Chicken Chow Mein recipe came from a class my mother took in the 1970’s. Once everything is chopped it only takes about 10 minutes to cook it. You can throw everything into the wok at once, but it comes out so much better if you take the little bit of extra time to cook it as directed to allow everything it’s proper amount of cooking time.
I usually make this for Chinese New Year, leaving the noodles unbroken for long life.
You may also enjoy these make at home versions of Chinese restaurant recipes.
Almond Chicken Chow Mein
- 1 pound chow mein noodles
- 6 tablespoons oil divided use
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut in thin strips
- 3-4 Chinese black mushrooms presoaked an hour and cut in thin strips
- 4-5 water chestnuts peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 stalk celery sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 1/2 cup bok choy or 1 cup Chinese pea pods
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots chopped
- 3/4 cup toasted almonds chopped (divided use)
- 1 package dry chicken gravy mix
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Cook noodles about 1 minute in boiling water, drain.
- While noodles are cooking heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok until very hot, add cooked noodles and cook for a few minutes adding additional oil if the noodles stick. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to wok saute chicken and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 2 minutes and remove from wok.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to wok add water chestnuts, onion, celery, bok choy, bean sprouts and bamboo shoots. Saute over high heat for 2 minutes, add chicken and mushroom and saute for one minute. Add 1/2 cup almonds.
- Add chicken stock and gravy mix, and bring to a boil. Add noodles and mix well, breaking the noodles as you stir – unless it is for New Years, then leave the noodles long for good luck.
- Garnish with additional almonds.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.