Last week my CSA gave me half a cauliflower as a bonus, and I had a drawer full of carrots so my mind immediately jumped to Giardiniera, an easy Italian mixed vegetable pickle. This will be great for some gifts for my foodie friends.
Do not be intimidated by the long list of ingredients.
I made mine a bit on the mild side with jalapeno peppers, but if you like the extra hot Chicago-style Giardiniera, use a hotter pepper.
Another choice to make is how to cut the vegetables. Some versions cut the carrots into long sticks more like cucumber pickles and some cut the vegetables into small bits like a relish. As you can see from the photo, I split the difference.
Enjoy a taste of Italy with this easy homemade Giardiniera recipe. #giardinierarecipe #homemadepicklesClick To Tweet
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 pound carrots cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices
- 1 pound green and/or red bell peppers cut into long strips then cut in halves or thirds
- 1 medium onion cut in half, then skinny wedges
- 3 medium jalapeno peppers seeded and cut in thin slices
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cut all vegetables and combine in a large bowl.
In a large sauce pot, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer, add vegetables and cook until just tender.
If not processing jars, continue cooking another 10-15 minutes. Scoop into jars. Let cool then refrigerate for at least 4-5 days before serving.
To process jars: Pack vegetables into pint jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Cover with liquid. Remove bubbles and adjust 2 piece lid. Process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes.
Check out the Ball website for more information on the boiling water canning process.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.