If you need a bright way to start your day, or a sweet lemony afternoon treat these Lemon Streusel Muffins are just the ticket.
Unlike most streusel toppings, this one does not use brown sugar or cinnamon. Don't get me wrong. I love brown sugar and cinnamon, just not with lemon. And these muffins are loaded with lemony goodness from the tangy glaze down to the moist muffins.
The next time life hands you lemons, whip a quick batch of these Lemon Streusel Muffins.
Lemon Streusel Muffins
- ¼ cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (or lemon flavored yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 lemon (juiced and zested)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line muffin tin with wrappers or spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients, pressing together with fingers until firm. Put in freezer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together egg and sugar until thick and yellow (about 30 seconds). Whisk in melted butter until combined. Add yogurt, ¼ cup of lemon juice and about half of the lemon zest.
- Fold in flour mixture until batter is just mixed (do not over mix). Scoop batter into muffin tins. Remove topping from freezer and crumble on top of the muffins.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with crumbs but no uncooked batter (15-20 minutes). Remove from pan and let cool.
- While muffins are cooling, prepare glaze. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and remaining lemon zest. Add remaining lemon juice about a tablespoon at a time until it is drizzling consistency.