Here’s a delicious use for those tomatoes that fall off the vine or are still green at the end of the growing season, in a revised healthier version of a recipe posted a few years ago: Lighter Green Tomato Bread.
Say what now?! Green Tomatoes… in BREAD?! Yes, it is similar in taste and texture to a zucchini bread and is a healthier alternative to Fried Green Tomatoes, which I do not particularly care for.
I had a tomato vine break from the weight of the fruit, plus when I tried to tie up all of my tomato plants some of the cherry tomatoes fell off.
Since I didn’t have all of the ingredients for Green Tomato Chow Chow, I opted to make a healthier version of the Green Tomato Bread recipe in The Beverly Lewis Amish Cookbook that calls for a half cup of oil and sugar per loaf of bread. Eek! I reduced that and swapped in some whole wheat flour. It was moist and lightly sweet. More sugar would have made it too sweet to me.
So, go pick a few of your unripened tomatoes, or save this recipe for use at the end of the season. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with this delightful bread.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Green Tomato Bread: a unique and delicious use for unripened tomatoes. #greentomatoes #quickbread” quote=”Green Tomato Bread: a delicious use for unripened tomatoes. ” theme=”style2″]
Based on recipe in The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup low or non fat yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup green tomatoes diced into small chunks
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or use all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup nuts chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine oil, yogurt, eggs, sugar (or honey), vanilla and tomatoes.
- Add flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix until all ingredients are wet. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Until next time, happy eating.