Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with mushrooms and onions: easy, moist, tender and oh so tasty!
I had a lovely little brisket I picked up on clearance just waiting to be turned into something delicious, but it was ridiculously hot outside. Which means it was time to break out the slow cooker.
I didn't want to go with a Barbecue Brisket. I wasn't in the mood for sweet. So a little hunting around on Yummly and I had enough inspiration to put together this.
Any time you cook a roast in a slow cooker you want to brown it a bit first for color and extra flavor. Be sure to deglaze the pan to get all of those yummy bits.
[click_to_tweet tweet="Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with mushrooms and onions so tender and moist. #slowcooker #brisket" quote="Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with mushrooms and onions so tender and moist. #slowcooker #brisket" theme="style2"]
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with Mushrooms and Onions
- 2-3 pound flat cut beef brisket
- 2-3 tablespoons garlic pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 onions (sliced)
- ½ pound mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) on medium high heat. Add oil.
- While the pan is heating, rub brisket with garlic powder on both sides. Quickly brown the brisket on both sides in the skillet, about 3-4 minutes a side.
- While brisket is browning, layer onions and mushrooms on the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Move brisket to slow cooker on top of the onions.
- Pour the broth and liquid smoke into the skillet and stir with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Pour the liquid into the slow cooker on the side of the meat, not on top of it. You want the juices and onions on the bottom and the meat on top out of the liquid.
- Cook 3-4 hours on high, or 5-6 on low, depending on your slow cooker.
- Remove brisket to cutting board and tent with foil.
- Pour juices into a small saucepan and whisk in cornstarch. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Add cooked onions and mushrooms.
- Slice brisket against the grain. Serve with gravy.
Until next time, happy eating.