This Spicy Sage Breakfast Sausage is nothing more than ground pork mixed with plenty of spices like sage, ginger and pepper. And the best part of making it yourself is you can customize it with the amount of spices your family likes best.
To make the breakfast sausage it was just a matter of blending the spices, mixing it into the meat and shaping them into patties. Or shape it into a tube like you'd buy at the store, wrap in waxed paper and freeze in a zip to lock bag.
Use meat with at least 20% fat. I know you will be tempted to cut that down. DON'T, unless you like dry tough sausage. I know of what I speak (translation: I did it once and the sausage was awful).
Adjust the spice amounts to your family's taste. I had to cut back on the peppers for Sir Snubs A Lot so I added a bit more sage. I omitted the MSG and only left it in the recipe as "optional" because that's what his cousin had written. Some people really notice it (my mother for one) and I know a few people with an allergy to it. I don't knowingly put it in anything.
[click_to_tweet tweet="Make your own homemade breakfast sausage by mixing some ground pork with spices. Yes, it is that easy. #homemadesausage #breakfastsausage" quote="Make your own homemade breakfast sausage by mixing some ground pork with spices. Yes, it is that easy. #homemadesausage #breakfastsausage" theme="style2"]
Spicy Sage Breakfast Sausage
- 10 lb pork butt or shoulder (ratio of fat to meat should be at least 20-80 or 30-70)
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 3 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons cayenne (red pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups water (ice cold)
- ½ teaspoon MSG (optional)
- Double grind pork through medium fine plates.
- Blend remaining ingredients in a blender, blend on low 30-60 seconds.
- Mix spices with ground pork until thoroughly blended (several minutes). Shape into patties and refrigerate overnight, or freeze in zip-to-lock bags.
- Cook thoroughly and enjoy.
Until next time, happy eating.