Learn how to make a healthy version of take out favorite Broccoli Beef at home in your slow cooker.
If you have a good cut of meat you can stir fry this dish quickly, but this version tenderizes less expensive stew meat in the slow cooker for a few hours. As with all slow cooker recipes, times are approximate based on the size of your slow cooker, the size of the meat, etc.
Adding the vegetables the last 20 minutes steams them and keeps them slightly crunchy, which we prefer. If you like yours cooked more, add them sooner.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- 1½ lbs. beef stew meat (cut into chunks )
- 1½ cup beef stock
- 3-4 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- ½ cups gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 14 ounce bag frozen broccoli florets (or fresh)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut in short, thin strips)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Add beef stew chunks to 5 or 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium glass or other non-reactive bowl, whisk beef stock, garlic, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil to combine.
- Pour mixture on top of beef. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- 15-20 minutes before serving create a slurry by combing 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or arrowroot with ¼ cup of liquid from the slow cooker.
- Stir the slurry into the beef, then add the frozen broccoli and red bell pepper. Cover and finish cooking.
- Serve immediately with cooked brown rice and a drizzle of sauce from the slow cooker.
- Garnish with some toasted sesame seeds before serving, if desired.