When it is cold and miserable outside it is time to break out the slow cooker and make this easy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup to warm you up from the inside out.
This is a wonderful soup for chilly weather. And like most soups it is so easy to make, especially when you pop everything in the slow cooker.
By using pureed white beans, this soup has a delectable creaminess with less fat and extra fiber. While half and half is added at the end, you can use a plant based substitute to keep is vegan.
Stove Top Directions
The recipe below is prepared in a slow cooker.
You can cook this on the stove if you'd like: bring it to a boil and simmer for 35-45 minutes until the rice is soft but not mushy.
Wild Rice Mushroom Soup Ingredients and Alternatives
This rich and creamy rice and mushroom soup can be made to suit many different eating plans by swapping out a few ingredients as needed
Produce: onions, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms and parsley
Half and Half: or all cream or a dairy free alternative (such as soy milk and silken tofu).
Cannellini Beans: or other canned white beans such as navy or great northern.
Vegetable Stock: or chicken stock
Spices: bay leaves, garlic powder, salt and pepper
Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup multi-color wild rice blend (uncooked)
- 1 small white or yellow onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms (washed, divided)
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans (do not drain!)
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6-8 cup vegetable stock (divided)
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Rinse the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Finely mince onion, celery, carrots, garlic and 8 ounces of the mushrooms in a food processor or by hand and transfer to slow cooker crock.
- Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and add to slow cooker pot.
- Puree cannellini beans with the liquid from the can until smooth and pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients.
- Add bay leaf, garlic powder, and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8.
Actual cooking time will varying by individual slow cooker, so check for doneness after 2½ hours (or 5½ hours for low) and adjust cooking time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy, when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove bay leaf and discard.
- Add a a few tablespoons of the soup to the half and half and stir to temper. Add to the crock pot with the chopped parsley, and additional vegetable stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve.
Sound tasty? Share it with others!
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!