Vegan Potato and Corn Chowder made in the slow cooker makes a healthy and hearty meal to comfort your family on a chilly day.
Besides all of the other drama going on in the world, it has been raining off and on for the better part of two weeks. This Californian is getting a bit depressed! I need some comfort foods, like this soup.
Just dump the ingredients in the slow cooker, go about your day and then add a some coconut milk a little before serving. Easy peasy comfort on a spoon.
Ingredients and Substitutions for Potato Corn Chowder
Potatoes - russet potatoes work well in this, but you can use yellow (Yukon gold) or even red or blue. Well, the latter might look a bit odd.
Corn - frozen or canned is probably what is going to be available in the winter. But if you have fresh use it.
Jalapeno Pepper - you can omit it for a milder soup, or add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes to add some zip.
Vegetable Broth - or chicken broth
Coconut Milk - or whole milk or other non-dairy milk
Fresh cilantro for serving - there really is no substitute. Okay, maybe some green onions or fresh chives if you have the "cilantro tastes like soap suds" gene.
Spices - cumin oregano, coriander, salt and black pepper.
Potato Corn Chowder
- 5 large russet potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 12 ounce bag frozen sweet corn (drained)
- 1 medium jalapeño (seeds removed and chopped)
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (preferably organic)
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Place the potatoes, corn, jalapeño, ground cumin, oregano, and coriander into the crock of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, scoop out about half of the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add coconut milk, and mash until potatoes are almost smooth. Return to slow cooker crock and stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking until all ingredients are heated through.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro for serving if desired.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!