Bacon Wrapped Medjool Dates are an amazing combination of flavors and textures: crispy salty bacon, soft sweet dates, creamy goat cheese and crunchy almonds. You might want to double or triple the recipe because these will go fast.
Bacon makes everything better.
Okay, too much bacon is bad for your health. But, an occasional bite here and there can be a boost to your emotional health (it's on the internet now so it must be true!)
These Bacon Wrapped Dates are so easy to make ahead for a party, just fill and wrap the dates then store in the fridge until party time. Heat them up just before guests begin arriving and they will be a wonderful welcome to your gathering.
Medjool Dates versus Other Dates
This recipe calls for Medjool dates. They are not the same as regular pitted dates found with the dried fruit in your grocery store.
- fresh not dried: Medjool dates are harvested and sold fresh and should be in the produce aisle and are better stored in the fridge.
- consistency: because they are fresh they are softer than the dried varieties
- taste: Medjool are sweeter
- size: Medjool dates are significantly larger
That last reason is one of the main reasons to go out of your way to get the Medjool for this instance.
If you can only find the dried pitted dates, fear not; you can still use them. But, you probably want to cut your bacon into three pieces instead of in half and make more smaller sized appetizers.
More Finger Food Recipes from #OurFamilyTable
When it is time to party it is time to break out the finger foods. Here are some delicious recipes perfect for everything from tailgating to elegant dinner parties.
Favorite Finger Foods for New Years
- Bacon Wrapped Dates from That Recipe
- Baked Cheese and Jam Phyllo Cups from The Spiffy Cookie
- Champagne Truffles from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cheeseburger Pie Bites from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Keto Scotch Eggs from Art of Natural Living
- Mexican Mollettes Bites from Magical Ingredients
- Rosemary Pesto and Steak Crostini from Pandemonium Noshery
- Thai Lime & Chili Cashews (DIY Trader Joe's) from Palatable Pastime
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Bacon Wrapped Medjool Dates
- 24 large whole Medjool dates (see note)
- 6 ounces goat cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup slivered blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons honey (divided use)
- 12 slices bacon (cut in half)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves (finely chopped, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat..
- Pit the dates by carefully cutting a slit down one side with a sharp knife. Remove pits and discard.
- In a medium bowl combine goat cheese, almonds, and two tablespoons honey.
- Fill each pitted date with some of the goat cheese mixture and gently squeeze closed.
- Roll each date in half a slice of bacon and secure closed with a toothpick.
- Arrange the bacon-wrapped dates on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the bacon is evenly cooked, and the dates are heated through, flipping the dates two or three times with tongs while cooking to ensure even results. About 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, place on a serving plate, drizzle with remaining honey and garnish with the fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
More Appetizer Recipes
Until next time, happy eating!
I love the sweet anf saltly combo!