Chili con Carne recipe with chocolate added for rich flavor.
Since we just finished Choctoberfest here on the blog, and the Family Table group is sharing Game Day Chili Recipes today I thought it was the perfect time for this recipe.
Yes, this recipe adds chocolate to chili con carne. No, I haven’t lost my mind and no, it doesn’t taste sweet.
Chocolate added to chili, or other beef recipe such as this Spicy Chocolate Marinated TriTip, gives the dish an incredible earthy rich flavoring. Most people won’t even realize that it is chocolate that is giving it the extra layer of flavor.
Don’t overdo it though, a little bit of baking chocolate or a tablespoon or two of cocoa goes a long way.
Yes, chili is best when served with cornbread, preferably made in a cast iron skillet.
Game Day Chili Recipes
- 6 Can Chili by Our Good Life
- Chili Con Carne with Chocolate by That Recipe
- Classic Chili with Beans by Sweet Beginnings
- Easy Book Club Chili by Art of Natural Living
- One-Pot Chili Mac by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Roasted Garlic Turkey Chili by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Chili Con Carne with Chocolate
- 1 small onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 32 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounce can red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 ounce baking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Pinch crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
- In a stock pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion, pepper and garlic until onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about one hour.
- Serve with cornbread and your favorite chili fixins.