These delicious Toasted Pecan Cranberry Muffins are a comforting treat. They are bursting with nutty goodness thanks to the ground pecans in the batter with even more pecans in the streusel topping. Plus they are studded with fresh (or frozen) cranberries.
This muffin recipe adds a few extra steps to regular muffins to ensure the perfect flavor and texture. Instead of straight wheat flour, it uses half pecan flour, made by grinding toasted pecans in the food processor. The extra flavor is worth it.
Also, I have found the trick to chunky streusel is to freeze it and crumble it on top just before baking.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”These Toasted Pecan Cranberry muffins are a delightful treat anytime of day. Loaded with toasted pecans and fresh cranberries these buttery and tart treats are sure to please. #muffinrecipes #cranberryrecipes” quote=”These Toasted Pecan Cranberry muffins are a delightful treat anytime of day. Loaded with toasted pecans and fresh cranberries these buttery and tart treats are sure to please. ” theme=”style2″]
Toasted Pecan Cranberry Muffins
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup pecans
For the Muffins
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter ((melted and cooled))
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups pecans
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries ((thawed slightly first if frozen))
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a standard 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with wrappers.
- Place 1 ¾ cups pecans on a baking sheet and put in oven
while it is preheating. Remove as soon as pecans are lightly toasted. Remove
from pan and let cool before slightly before continuing.
- In the bowl of your food processor with the blade attachment, pulse together the flour, sugars, butter and salt until it resembles course sand. Add the pecans and pulse 4-5 times, or until the pecans are coarsely chopped.
- Transfer the streusel topping to a small bowl, press together until firm and put in the freezer.
- In your food processor process the pecans and the granulated sugar until it forms a coarse meal.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pecan meal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Measure the milk in a 1 cup or larger measuring cup. Whisk in eggs, yogurt and melted butter until combined. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- In the food processor, pulse together the cranberries and powdered sugar a few times until the cranberries are coarsely chopped.
- Fold the cranberries into the muffin batter. Let rest while the oven is preheating (about 15 minutes)
- Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin tin, filling to the top. Break the struesel topping into chunks and top each muffin, pressing into the batter slightly.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.