This grown up BLT Sandwich takes the traditional flavors and kicks them up for a more flavorful healthier meal.
BLTs were a rare treat in my house growing up: crisp bacon, crunchy iceberg lettuce, ripe juicy tomatoes, a smear of mayonnaise on untoasted fluffy white bread (so the juices from the tomato and bacon could blend with the mayo and soak into the bread)
The Our Family Table group is blogging about BLT sandwiches this week in honor of BLT Sandwich Month. Why would anyone put BLT sandwich month in April? Ripe tomatoes are a key ingredient and here in sunny southern California my tomatoes look like this right now:
I knew I was going to have to tweak the traditional recipe. And I figured, “in for a penny in for a pound” and decided to change everything up a bit:
Bacon – lower fat turkey bacon
Lettuce – arugula for a nice peppery touch
Tomato – sun dried tomatoes
Mayonnaise – kept the mayo here but mixed it with sun dried tomatoes
White Bread – semi whole wheat grilled pita breads (this recipe with half whole wheat flour)
You can use store bought pita breads if you want, but the homemade version is easy and so tasty fresh off the grill. I even cooked the bacon on the grill while I was at it.
Beyond BLT Sandwiches
Here are some more amazing BLT inspired recipes.
- Breakfast BLT Sandwich by Making Miracles
- Everything Bagel BLT Sandwich by Cookaholic Wife
- Fried Green Tomato BLT by Palatable Pastime
- Grown Up BLT by That Recipe
- Lobster Roll BLT by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Ranch BLT Chaffle Sandwich by Big Bear’s Wife
- Salmon BLAT Lettuce Wrap by Art of Natural Living
This grown up BLT Sandwich updates the traditional sandwich with healthier gourmet choices like whole wheat pitas, sun dried tomato mayo and arugula.
- 4 whole wheat pita breads see note
- 12 ounces turkey bacon cooked
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 bunch arugula washed, hard stems removed
Cook bacon and warm pita breads.
In a small bowl combine mayonnaise and sun dried tomatoes.
Spread pitas with mayonnaise, add arugula and cooked bacon. Fold over or roll if desired.
I made my own whole wheat pita breads using half whole wheat flour. It is simple, but takes 90 minutes for the dough to rise, plus 10 minutes or so to cook.