Here’s a great beef and noodle skillet meal that’s been in the family for years. Hearty, beefy stick to your ribs meal that cooks up in about 45 minutes, most of it hands off time, making it perfect for a weeknight.
I have no idea where the name Mezetti came from, I assume it’s the name of the person that first came up with the recipe. The original was made with canned soup, and over the years Ma’am and I have switched it up to use fresher ingredients. Lower sodium and just as easy.
This makes a great meal for camping. You can precook the meat at home and cook it over the fire in a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven.
I had a difficult time finding fine egg noodles – go figure. So, I just broke up half a pack of angel hair pasta into about 2 ” pieces. If you go with wider noodles you will probably need more water and longer cooking time. If you are going to make this on a campout, I think the angel hair will be easier to transport.
The only other change I made was to use fresh mushrooms instead of canned because I got a great deal on them this week. I just added a little extra liquid to make sure the noodles had enough to cook through.
Add some bread and a salad or other vegetables and you have a simple hearty meal.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Easy Beef and Noodle Skillet the whole family will love. #onepotmeal #hamburgerrecipe” quote=”Easy Beef and Noodle Skillet the whole family will love.” theme=”style2″]
Mezetti – Beef and Noodle Skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1-2 clove garlic minced
- 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms and stems with liquid or 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms plus extra 1/4 cup water
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 oz fine egg noodles or 1/2 pack angel hair pasta broken in about 2
- 1 cup Cheddar or Mozzarella grated
- Brown meat with bell pepper, onion and garlic in large heavy skillet.
- Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, water, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle egg noodles evenly over top.
- Cover skillet; bring liquid to steaming (not quite boiling). Turn heat to low and cook for 25 minutes until noodles are soft.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over top of noodles and cook uncovered another 5 minutes to melt cheese.
Until next time, happy eating.