If you like easy no fuss spareribs, then these Oven Baked Barbecue Spareribs are just calling your name. No standing over the grill in the elements stressing over flare ups and ending up with charred dried out meat? Count me in!
You can use your favorite barbecue spice rub. My favorite is Gid and Clark’s Righteous Rib Rub (recipe below). It takes longer to put all of the spices back in the cupboard than it does to measure and mix this up. Even if you waste time putting the ingredients prettily together on a plate to take pictures.
You can use a store bought sauce, but I just whipped up a quick sauce with a can of tomato sauce, some honey and some of the rib rub that I heated up for a few minutes while the ribs were doing their initial baking.
The only warning I need to give you about this is to be sure to heavily spray the bottom and sides of your pan or line it with aluminum foil unless you like scrubbing pans. Trust me. I didn’t coat the sides of the pan enough and of course I got sauce on it when basting the ribs – there went my manicure.
Easy Barbecue Spareribs with homemade rub and barbecue sauce baked in the oven so you can enjoy the taste of summer all year.
- 2 pounds pork spareribs
- barbecue rib rub
- 1 can tomato sauce (14-15 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons honey or molasses
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Rub ribs with a few tablespoons of rib rub. Place in pan and cover loosely with foil. Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce, honey and 1 tablespoon rib rub. Heat on medium high for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove ribs from oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Pour sauce over ribs, cover with foil and return to oven. Bake for one hour, basting ever 10-15 minutes. Add water to the bottom of the pan if the sauce begins to burn.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 20 minutes. To serve, cut ribs 2/3 of the way through to make easier to separate by the diner.
I recommend using our homemade rib rub. It only takes a few minutes to throw together and you can tailor it to your family's preferences.