Panzanella is a delightful Italian bread salad made with summer's bounty: fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil.
This is a "what you have on hand" salad. It is not a recipe that requires exact amount or ingredients. When I made it last, I used a few different loaves of bread that were in danger of spoiling in the heat. I made pesto the day before so I didn't have quite as much basil as listed below, but added all that I had.
Gluten free? Use gluten free bread. No shallots, use a little garlic or green onion.
You get the idea.
Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad)
- 1 pound loaf Italian or French Bread (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (divided use)
- 1 ½ pound fresh tomatoes (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled, seeded and cut into slices)
- 1 small shallot (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, add bread pieces and drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over them to coat. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until light brown, flipping once. About 15 minutes.
- While bread is toasting add tomatoes and ½ teaspoon salt to the bowl and toss lightly. Let stand 15 minutes. (this is when I chop the remaining ingredients)
- Remove bread from the oven and set aside to cool briefly.
- Drain the tomato juices to a small bowl. Add cucumbers, shallot, basil and toasted bread to the tomatoes.
- Add vinegar and 6 tablespoons oil to the tomato juices. Whisk to combine, then drizzle over the the salad. Add salt and pepper to taste.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS' LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.