This Peppery Pickled Red Cabbage recipe is not only delicious as a salad or a condiment, it comes with a special bonus: a lesson.
The recipe is courtesy of my mother-in-law's cousin Betty, who passed away a few years ago after years with Alzheimer's. It was one of her specialties. Betty's daughter recently mentioned to my mother-in-law that the one thing she regretted she didn't do before her mother passed was to write down this recipe. Not only did my mother-in-law have the recipe, she had it in cousin Betty's own handwriting! What a treasure for her daughter, granddaughter and great-granddaughter!
Moral of the story: WRITE DOWN THE FAMILY RECIPES! We were lucky this recipe wasn't lost to the ages, or Cousin Betty's Alzheimer effected brain.
The recipe itself is quite easy. I altered it a bit because her original recipe was a little vague and called for three heads of cabbage! Which is great if you are having a party or actually want to process the jars to seal them properly. But she told her cousin she usually just put it in a mason jar and kept it in the fridge for up to a few months. Which is what I did.
You want to let this sit at least overnight if not a few days before enjoying. It is great as a side salad like cole slaw, or put it in a sandwich or maybe fish tacos. It isn't spicy hot, but a lovely mix of tangy, sweet, savory and crunchy. Mmmmm!
Peppery Pickled Red Cabbage
- 1 ½ cup vinegar
- 1 ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1-2 red bell peppers (roughly chopped)
- ¾ teaspoons pickling spices
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 head red cabbage (roughly chopped)
- Combine all ingredients except cabbage into a medium saucepan. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Place chopped cabbage into a large bowl. Strain vinegar over the cabbage and stir to combine. Let cool.
- Let sit at least overnight before serving. Or pack into mason jars and store in the fridge for up to several months.
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Danielle from Creatively Homespun (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Dina from Savvy in the Kitchen**
**Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas (Blog)**
- If you would like to be a co-host for this party, please email Tammy at email@example.com. You would post this party every Tuesday at 7 am Central Time and include an original recipe, a round-up of recipes, or your favorite features from this party along with the link-up. We also may need your help pinning up to 25 recipes to our party board every week.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.