Easy Pulled Pork Chili made in the slow cooker is a rich and hearty blend of flavors that makes a wonderful meal on a cold night.
Normally, I make chili with ground beef. But this recipe pops a whole pork shoulder into the slow cooker until it soaks up all of that fabulous flavor as it cooks up nice and tender enough to shred.
Serve it with your favorite chili toppings and sides. Some people prefer crackers, but chili isn't chili in my house without cornbread.
About the Ingredients
Cocoa Powder? Yes, chocolate adds a wonderful depth to the chili. Just make sure it is unsweetened cocoa powder.
Mexican oregano is better than Italian/ Mediterranean oregano for this, if you have it. They are actually different plants with slightly different tastes. Mexican oregano has a citrus like taste, where as Mediterranean is more minty.
Use your favorite liquid smoke flavor. Back when I was growing up you could only find hickory in the grocery store. Now you have plenty of choices, including my favorite mesquite.
More Slow Cooking Suppers from #OurFamilyTable
- Pulled Pork Chili by That Recipe
- Slow Cooker Asian-Style Pot Roast by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Chili by Art of Natural Living
- Slow Cooker Cottage Ham by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Garlic-Parmesan Chicken by Making Miracles
- Slow Cooker Meatball Sliders by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Pork al Pastor by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Vegetarian Chili Mac by Magical Ingredients
Pulled Pork Chili
- 4-5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano (Mexican if you have it)
- Kosher salt & black pepper (to taste)
- 3-3½ pounds pork shoulder roast (trimmed)
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 4 ounce can mild green chilies
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup chicken broth
For Serving (optional)
- Mexican cheese blend (finely shredded)
- red onion (diced)
- fresh cilantro (chopped)
- sour cream
- Combine garlic, cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub pork roast with seasoning mixture on all sides and place in the crock of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Arrange the onion, chilies, tomatoes and beans around the roast around the pork. Pour the tomato paste, liquid smoke and chicken broth on top. Stir the ingredients on each side of the pork to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8. Do not remove lid while cooking.
- When cook time is complete, shred the pork with two forks. Allow the pork to rest in the juices for about 10-15 minutes to absorb more flavor.
- Serve with desired toppings on the side.
Sound fabulous? Share it!
Until next time, happy eating!