Sauerbraten means sour beef; it is a traditional German pot roast marinated in a vinegar solution for 2 days then slow cooked and served with a slightly sweet gingersnap gravy.
First things first: don't be intimidated by the fact that it takes 56 hours to make. The hands on time is about 10 minutes with 2 days marinating and 8 hours cooking in your slow cooker.
My mother used to make this recipe in Autumn and Winter growing up. I have no idea where she got the recipe, but it was always one of my favorites. Serve it with potatoes or egg noodles and some Pickled Red Cabbage on the side.
If you want more delicious pressure cooker and slow cooker meals, be sure to peruse these goodies from the Our Family Table Bloggers:
Instant Pot Slow Cooker Recipes
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Instant Pot Asian Pork Meatballs by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Instant Pot Cowboy Steak and Beans by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pressure Cooker Beef Bourguignon by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans by Art of Natural Living
- Slow Cooker Sauerbraten by That Recipe
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Beef by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- 3 pound beef chuck or rump roast
- 1 medium onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 large lemon (unpeeled, sliced and seeds removed)
- 10 whole cloves
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns (approximately 6)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons flour (mixed with water to make a thick paste)
- 12 gingersnaps (crushed)
- Trim excess fat from roast. In a large zip to lock plastic bag, add onion, lemon, spices and salt and sugar. Pour in vinegar and water. Add roast. Refrigerate for two days, turning meat approximately every 12 hours during marinating time.
- Place meat in a crock pot. Strain the marinade and add 1 cup of liquid to the meat in the crock pot, reserve the rest in the refrigerator to thin gravy if needed. Cover crock pot and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove meat to a serving platter. Turn crock pot control to high. Stir in the flour mixture and gingersnaps. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes, thinning with reserved marinade or water as needed.
- Slice meat. Pour sauce over meat and serve.
Until next time, happy eating.