I received compensation from Millican Pecan Company for this post. The recipe and opinions are my own.
Rich and chocolaty Toffee Bars are a simple but flavor packed cookie bar perfect for gift giving. Great for shipping to family and friends or whip up a quick batch to enjoy anytime.
This post is part of Christmas Cookies Week 2020. Be sure to keep scrolling to see all of today’s fabulous recipes and to enter the giveaway thanks to our amazing sponsors: Adams Extract, Anolon Cookware, Millican Pecan Company, Sweets and Treats.
My youngest niece recently moved away to college and was bemoaning the fact that she rarely got anything in the mail. No worries, Aunt Audrey can take care of that. And the next day a box filled with these was on their way to her mailbox.
Bar cookies are my favorite for mailing because they are usually thicker and fit snuggly together so there is less risk of breakage as there might be with more delicate cookies. Oh, and they are faster to prepare too. Shhh!
Mix it Up for More Variations
There are plenty of ways to change up these Toffee Bars.
Choose your favorite chocolate: dark, semi sweet or milk. Or use a some white chocolate and swirl it.
I used my favorite Millican Pecan Pieces on top, because I loooooooooooove pecans. But you could use other chopped nuts if you are so inclined.
Make it vegan by using butter flavored coconut oil, a vegan egg substitute (aquafaba is my favorite for cookie baking) and a vegan chocolate.
Homemade Cookie Mix
Have you ever noticed that many cookies use the same basic ingredients?
This recipe is one of four I am sharing this week that use my Homemade Cookie Mix. Each cookie recipe starts with the same basic mix but ends up completely different looking and tasting.
Make a batch of the cookie mix and keep it in the fridge or freezer so you can quickly whip up a batch of cookies when the urge strikes. Or make a double or triple batch to make Christmas cookie baking a little easier.
- 4 cups Basic Cookie Mix recipe below
- ½ cup butter or butter flavored coconut oil softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces dark, milk or semi-sweet chocolate candy broken into pieces
- ½ cup chopped pecans or other nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cookie mix, butter, vanilla extract, and egg. Press into a single even layer in the baking pan.
- Bake until very light golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate pieces on top. Let melt completely then spread to cover the top of the cookie. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cut into bars while warm.
Basic Cookie Mix
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ cups shortening or chilled coconut oil (butter flavor coconut oil is amazing!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening or coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Store mixture in zip-to-lock or other air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 10 weeks.
- To use: Scoop out with a dry measuring cup and level with a knife or spatula.
Get More Christmas Cookie Recipes
Get even more Christmas Cookie recipes in our eBook Bake the Season Bright available on Kindle.
FREE for the week of November 9-13, 2020 ONLY.
Christmas Cookie Week Recipes & Giveaway
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Here are some of the cookies our blogging friends are sharing today:
Monday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Amaretti Snowball Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Bourbon Pecan Snowballs by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cappuccino Crinkles by West Via Midwest
- Cherry Garlands by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Chocolate Sugar Kisses by An Affair from the Heart
- Christmas Confetti Amaretti Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Christmas Mouse Shortbread Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Cinnamon Chip Holiday Spice Cake Mix Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Cinnamon Pecan Snickerdoodles by Daily Dish Recipes
- Classic Butter Spritz Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Hermit Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey Spice Oatmeal Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Melting Snowman Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pecan Brown Sugar Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie Bars by Eat Move Make
- Pecan Pie Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- Peppermint Chocolate Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Devour Dinner
- Peppermint Patty Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Raspberry Jam Cookies by Making Miracles
- Reindeer Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Soft Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Toffee Bars by That Recipe
- White Chocolate Cranberry Crinkle Cookies by Blogghetti
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen.
The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Until next time, happy eating!