I received compensation from Millican Pecan Company for this post. The recipe and opinions are my own.
Rich and chocolaty Toffee Bars are a simple but flavor packed cookie bar perfect for gift giving. Great for shipping to family and friends or whip up a quick batch to enjoy anytime.
My youngest niece recently moved away to college and was bemoaning the fact that she rarely got anything in the mail. No worries, Aunt Audrey can take care of that. And the next day a box filled with these was on their way to her mailbox.
Bar cookies are my favorite for mailing because they are usually thicker and fit snuggly together so there is less risk of breakage as there might be with more delicate cookies. Oh, and they are faster to prepare too. Shhh!
Mix it Up for More Variations
There are plenty of ways to change up these Toffee Bars.
Choose your favorite chocolate: dark, semi sweet or milk. Or use a some white chocolate and swirl it.
I used my favorite Millican Pecan Pieces on top, because I loooooooooooove pecans. But you could use other chopped nuts if you are so inclined.
Make it vegan by using butter flavored coconut oil, a vegan egg substitute (aquafaba is my favorite for cookie baking) and a vegan chocolate.
Homemade Cookie Mix
Have you ever noticed that many cookies use the same basic ingredients?
This recipe is one of four I am sharing this week that use my Homemade Cookie Mix. Each cookie recipe starts with the same basic mix but ends up completely different looking and tasting.
Make a batch of the cookie mix and keep it in the fridge or freezer so you can quickly whip up a batch of cookies when the urge strikes. Or make a double or triple batch to make Christmas cookie baking a little easier.
- 4 cups Basic Cookie Mix (recipe below)
- ½ cup butter or butter flavored coconut oil (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces dark, milk or semi-sweet chocolate candy (broken into pieces)
- ½ cup chopped pecans (or other nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cookie mix, butter, vanilla extract, and egg. Press into a single even layer in the baking pan.
- Bake until very light golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate pieces on top. Let melt completely then spread to cover the top of the cookie. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cut into bars while warm.
Basic Cookie Mix
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ cups shortening or chilled coconut oil ((butter flavor coconut oil is amazing!))
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening or coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Store mixture in zip-to-lock or other air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 10 weeks.
- To use: Scoop out with a dry measuring cup and level with a knife or spatula.
More Cookie Mix Cookie Recipes
Get More Christmas Cookie Recipes
Get even more Christmas Cookie recipes in our eBook Bake the Season Bright available on Kindle.
FREE for the week of November 9-13, 2020 ONLY.
Christmas Cookie Week Recipes & Giveaway
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Here are some of the cookies our blogging friends are sharing today:
Monday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Amaretti Snowball Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Bourbon Pecan Snowballs by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cappuccino Crinkles by West Via Midwest
- Cherry Garlands by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies by Kate's Recipe Box
- Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Books n' Cooks
- Chocolate Sugar Kisses by An Affair from the Heart
- Christmas Confetti Amaretti Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Christmas Mouse Shortbread Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Cinnamon Chip Holiday Spice Cake Mix Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Cinnamon Pecan Snickerdoodles by Daily Dish Recipes
- Classic Butter Spritz Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Hermit Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Honey Spice Oatmeal Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Melting Snowman Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pecan Brown Sugar Cookies by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie Bars by Eat Move Make
- Pecan Pie Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- Peppermint Chocolate Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Devour Dinner
- Peppermint Patty Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Raspberry Jam Cookies by Making Miracles
- Reindeer Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Soft Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Toffee Bars by That Recipe
- White Chocolate Cranberry Crinkle Cookies by Blogghetti
Until next time, happy eating!