Chocolate chocolate chip muffins made with beets for a richer color and nutritional boost. They taste like traditional chocolate muffins, only better!
I wanted to make muffins for the family of a friend undergoing surgery. I thought they would be a great quick and easy breakfast for the kids (and husband) while she was laid up. Of course they had to be chocolate, so to add a bit more nutrition and moisture and color, I added ... some pureed beets.
After I baked them I gave a few to my son and his friends just for a taste test. They were devoured in a few minutes with no notice I had added "something funny"! Actually, after the first bite, my Sir Snubs a Lot exclaimed "Hey look, there are chocolate chips in here, yeah!"
I hope her crew doesn't notice or object to the beets either. But, even if they do she will eat them because she loves her veggies. (Get well soon, Mary!)
They are quick and easy if you already have the pureed beets, otherwise they take a bit longer. But they still are easy. And the muffin I split with my husband was delicious.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins – with beets!
- 1 cup beet puree
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ⅓ cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tins with oil or non-stick spray (or line with cupcake wrappers).
- In a bowl combine, beet puree, eggs, sugars, oil, and milk until smooth.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt until combined. Fold in liquid ingredients until just moistened. Add chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins, about ⅔rds full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
We have a new co-host for the month of March!
Melissa from The Happy Idiot will be sharing this party on her blog every Tuesday in March and also helping pin any recipes that are linked up past #125!
We would ask you to please follow her on one of her social medias!
FACEBOOK * TWITTER * PINTEREST * INSTAGRAM
Thank you, Melissa, for joining us in March to co-host this party.
If you would like to be a co-host for this party, please email Tammy at [email protected] You would post this party every Tuesday at 7 am Central Time and include an original recipe, a round-up of recipes, or your favorite features from this party along with the link-up. We also may need your help pinning up to 25 recipes to our party board every week.
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Danielle from Creatively Homespun (Blog)**
**Ashley from Forgetful Momma (Blog)**
**Audrey from That Recipe (Blog)**
**Dina from Savvy in the Kitchen**
**Maria from Maria Magdalena Living Ideas (Blog)**
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site--either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Until next time, happy eating.
Easy Peasy Life Matters
Oh those muffins look delicious!! Thanks so much for hosting! 🙂
Thanks for linking up. The muffins were scrumptious.
Thanks for a great link party! Hope you are having a great week. Your muffins look yummy!
Thanks for coming by. I am so glad you are up to blogging again.
CJ Huang | Morsels of Life
I love hiding secret ingredients in foods too! I've never been brave enough to hide beets, but I bet the chocolate hid them perfectly. Thanks for hosting, Audrey! 🙂
No one has noticed so far. 🙂
Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe at The Recipe Sharing Pin and Yum Party! I hope to see you next week. Pinned and Yummed.
Please visit Thursday Favorite Things for more sharing fun!
Is it crazy that I have NEVER had beets before!? 😮
Susanf - ofeverymoment
Yay - I have some beets in my fridge right now, so I can try these! Yummed this recipe!
I hope your family likes them.